SS won’t go to bed

Esme

Administrator
Staff member
SS had been in a funny mood since this afternoon and won’t go to bed. He’s a teenager. It’s Saturday night and he often stays up late at the week end but tomorrow he has to be up early. I asked him at midnight and went to bed. OH phoned him from upstairs at half past midnight and said SS says he knows how much sleep he needs. At 1am he was still downstairs and I woke OH up and said - you’ll have to just tell him to come up. OH refused and got grumpy and said he’ll have to learn. I said - but we’re responsible and I don’t want him to have an injury tomorrow being dopey while he’s playing sport.

So I went downstairs and asked nicely and said you need to be up in the morning and there are only so many hours before that and will you come up now. He said - when I’m ready. I tried again and said well ten minutes then. He said when I’ve finished this game and was quite dismissive again. I said how long will that be and he told ME to go to bed! I can never go to sleep until I know SS has come up. Not sure why. It’s now 2.30am. I was thinking about pulling the plug on the wifi but the router is in the room where SS is. I could just go to sleep but I want to know what time he comes up. Anyway I don’t know what’s come over him since lunchtime but it’s keeping me awake.

I’ve got past feeling worried, then stressed - and am now annoyed! I can imagine being quite frosty with him tomorrow which has never happened before. And as soon as I thought that I thought - is he trying to push us into being angry? A kind of bust up? For some reason only known to him (usually pressure from EFH).

Update. He came up very quietly at 2.50am. I’d already woken OH up again to say how long do I wait? Should I turn off the wifi? No idea how we’re all going to get up in four and a half hours time.

So I got up at 7.30 this morning. I know I didn't need to but last time he had this activity I didn't get up and felt bad as it looks like I'm not there or interested. I can have a nap later. OH said he had better wake him. I said - I thought you said he'd have to learn and were going to leave him. He can set an alarm. OH decided he had better wake him anyway.

SS of course looked half dead this morning but has gone so I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed there are no accidents. I've said to OH that at a suitable point during the day he needs to say to him, we need an agreement that no later than 1am at week-ends and he could get a blood clot if he sits there half the night (read about that with a teenager who was up on his computer all night once).

Last edited:
Back