Reducing stress, healthier lifestyle by having a pet

Maya

Two days ago we volunteered to take care for of ESS’s dog.
We had a cat Frodo who died on March 28th and it still hurts. We had to put him to sleep. It was over in days and a shock for me. He was my cat, He knew exactly when I felt bad and hurt and he was always besides me, slept with me/us.
I never imagined my cat would mean so much to me, but he had a very important place in my life. I never imagined we would be sleeping together.
He was a family member and I realize how much I miss him.
Since we have the dog, I have been outside more, we live on a small hill, very close to a large forest, but still in the city.
I am the one walking him, I am outside a lot more, I cook for him (I don’t really like cooking). I have my coffee early in the morning and drink it on a bench in a forest only about 30 m away from our house. He does his things…
Yesterday was difficult for me, it was hot and humid, but today I loved my walks with him.
I have seriously started considering getting a dog, and having a chance to see how we feel about it is great.
I think having a dog is an obligation, but a very healthy one. I have to go out, I feel I have a purpose and company and a different dynamic at home. I was too lazy and unmotivated before and I live in a beautiful place.
I walked and even ran and feel so much better.

I have been very stressed and was having issues with anxiety and heart palpitations since our cat passed.
They are gone today and I like having the dog around.
I just don’t know him well yet. He is not very disciplined, but is very warm towards me and loves to be petted. He also loves my cooking😋.

I think adopting a dog from a shelter is something good. They let you spend some time with the animal and see if you fit together.
For now we will probably be spending time with ESS’s dog, because he will be away for about 2 weeks.

I think animals change my life for the better, hopefully H catches on too, but he wants a she-dog and wants to train her himself.

I would even keep SS’s dog, but that is probably unlikely. I know I cannot handle a very strong dog, unless he/she is well trained.

Today he took off on me and I was running through the neighborhood in my pajamas and a coffee mug, so life is lively and I am getting in shape. I just hope no one recorded me…🤣

I think it sounds a great idea :-) Yes pets enrich our lives and provide emotional healing sometimes. I think most pets are like therapy. I have always wanted to have a dog but I know I am extremely allergic and our last attempt with a "hypoallergenic" (or less allergenic) dog was a disaster. And heartbreaking to have to rehome after only four days.

Dogs really are like a friend and unconditional love and yes you do find yourself doing things you wouldn't normally do! I think it helps to have something to look after as well. And they make us laugh. It is a tie but you work round it.

What kind of dog is ESS dog? I think if your H decided to train it you might not get much of a look in! But one thing that can be great is going to dog training classes - with other people - it expands your social life a bit too. They actually don't take long to train if you get it right from the start. I did train a puppy from scratch once (first dog - which was when I found I was allergic but stuck it out for a year). I used a book by Barbara Woodhouse mostly - who was a well known TV dog trainer a long time ago and quite a character. And it worked really well. Toilet trained almost straight away and trained to never leave a room even if all the doors were open - until called. But that bit of training took about a week or two of sleepless nights (you have to keep getting up and telling it to go back to bed).

Walking to heel doesn't take that long either with the right techniques. I think they at least need to be trained to come back when called though.

What kind of breed would you be interested in? I always liked terriers. They're a bit easier than really big dogs as well.

I forgot to say in my other post. I get severe anxiety and its has been horrendous over the past few years re the Canada situation with the 2nd EFH. Pets are great for that!!

Ha I love the mental picture of you balancing puppa, coffee mug and pajama's. Ours has saved our relationship at times (small midsized Goldendoodle), she is hilarious and such a little emotional, diva at times, thing. Hope its going well!!

One of my pets had to be put to sleep a couple of weeks ago. Always feel terrible about it but it was the right thing to do.

I haven’t read the posts, I guess I just opened and than something came up and I forgot.
Currently we are on vacation in our country cottage and have ESS’s dog with us. Our house is close to the forest and just about 200m from a big river. It’s very humid this year, not as bad as last year with all the floods (our house wasn’t flooded), so everything is growing like crazy, including poison ivy.
We had to bring the dog to the vet, because he had a huge reaction to it and is still recovering on meds. Don’t ask where he has it, he was doing his thing and than…, I didn’t catch him on time. He now has meds, has been to the vet twice, so it’s not boring.

He sleeps in our bed, he sneaks in during the night when we sleep and follows me everywhere.
I like having a dog. We have our thing going and he distracts me in a good way.
I have grown very fond of him, I am aware he is not mine, but we have a bond nevertheless and him going home to ESS probably won’t be easy.

I have no preference for the type of the dog we get, but not too big, not really small, most of all not too wild. I would consider adopting one.

My cat was also adopted.

See what's in the local adoption centre :-) I used to like smaller terriers like west highland or cairn types. Reasonably small but sturdy and easy to manage but pretty active and like chasing things. And usually friendly. Not really small like Yorkshire Terriers although they have a lot of fans! But can be a bit nervy in my (limited) experience.

Back