Need a cleaner

Esme

Administrator
Staff member
This is something I've thought about a few times. Then it wasn't really possible during the pandemic. Now I'm at the point where I know I can't keep up with it all. And not just cleaning - general help around the house. Although it seems quite hard to find anyone. I found a local facebook group for people advertising and looking for work so hopefully something will come out of that. There is a company locally that would send someone once a fortnight, but I'd prefer it to be more informal. And just decide what's needed each time.

I still don't like the idea! But on the other hand it would free me up to do other things. After tearing a muscle recently I can't do anything and while I know that's temporary it's made me realise I could do with a bit of help, OH works a lot and SS isn't here all the time.

I strongly suggest you get help. I have a cleaner coming in once every two weeks. I do a fast clean in between. I use her more often when I am away from home on weekends.
In your situation you shouldn’t think twice.

I've checked on a local facebook page but haven't had much response. Also contacted a company who seem quite reasonable. What really tipped me into deciding this was everything happening at once the last week. I can't do any cleaning myself right now due to this torn muscle, and we now have not only mice (traps are down) but also a moth outbreak from pet food (traps down also). Normal cleaning I could just put off, but I think I need someone to come in and have a really good clean through!

I was fighting it for a long time, I was raised to always do my own cleaning, although my grandmother had a cleaner.
My H just arranged one for me and that was it.

OH keeps saying he will do it. Well no he won't because he's not around enough, and when he does he either complains it gives him backache or just cuts so many corners it's pointless. He did some yesterday and was complaining about his back. Funny that as he works much harder outdoors and doesn't complain it's hard work! But a bit of hoovering? Bad for his back.

So I think I have maybe convinced him that we both need someone to help with the cleaning. Next question is - who pays for it.

I’m feeling a bit better now although still avoiding bending too much. I did find a cleaner locally from Facebook but decided to hangfire for now. I just want the one person really. This one they only do cleans with two of them - I don’t really want two people in the house cleaning different things in different places - I’d feel a bit invaded. Plus you can’t talk to both of them at the same time so assume they’ll just talk to each other.

So I’ll keep looking - I just want one person to come half a day a fortnight and do odd bits and have time to chat as well a bit so it doesn’t feel like a mad cleaning rush. Rather than two people for two hours. The way our house is it would be too awkward - and surely it only takes one person to clean a bathroom.

I agree you only need one, but for a deep clean two are better from my experience. One has too much additional work with windows, doors, cabinets…

I can see that might be good yes. I'm not wanting a deep clean really - just the odd thing doing now and then to keep on top of things. I think I'd need to have a big sort out and clear out before anyone could do a deep clean! It's quite cluttered in places. Frustrating not being able to do much about that until my pain is gone.

Back