My Optician story

Esme

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone else wear glasses? I've only needed them for the last 7 years. I had my first pair of prescription reading glasses 7 years ago and they were doing me fine. Gradually though I realised I needed them for more than just reading - ie the kind of middle distance area was not so sharp - eg when watching TV - and I ended up wearing them most of the time as everything looked clearer. Now at the time, I had a really nice optician I'd been seeing for years - even though I didn't need glasses for a long time - to have annual eye health check ups due to glaucoma and other eye conditions in the family.

She said I was fine continuing with ready readers for a few years as my eyes were the same strength. Then that year one of them was weaker than the other and she said - time for prescription glasses. Which are supposed to be for reading, but she asked all the right questions and I explained that I mainly read on my laptop and need them for that distance. I don't know how they work these things out (wish I did!) but she set them for my laptop distance and I could still read closer up with them as well.

Four years ago when I had an eye test, the glasses were still fine and I didn't need new ones. But I was aware I was wearing them around the house a lot - tv was clearer with them on than off. On that occasion I found my old optician was no longer there. I didn't like the new one. She was not "user friendly!".

Then the pandemic came along. I missed 3 years worth of eye tests. This year I got round to having an up to date eye test. My old opticians practice had closed down completely during the pandemic - although they still had another branch about 20 miles away. Instead I went to a different one locally.

Well that's where the trouble started. I said - I can see perfectly well with my current glasses. Had the eye test and was told my prescription had changed and I needed new ones. This optician didn't ask all the right questions. Did everything by the book and did a prescription for "reading"., I tried to explain that I don't read at the distance she held the card up - I read at laptop distance on my knee. She said the new prescription, being stronger, wouldn't encompass the middle distance like my old ones. I said well that won't work then because I need to read at laptop distance. She said you get distance glasses for further away.

I said - so what about the gap between the reading distance and the arms length distance? No answer to that. In hindsight I should have just carried on with my old glasses and thought about it a bit more. But unfortunately, by then, they were hanging by one arm and a neck chain! It was what pushed me into going to the opticians finally in the first place. So I was desperate for glasses as they kept falling off.

So I chose some new frames and balked at the cost of those and the lenses they said I needed. Then had to wait two weeks for them to arrive, still wearing my old ones at a weird angle and virtually tied on.

The new "reading" glasses came. Ugh. First time I wore them, my computer screen was clear enough but everything was distorted and convex and sloping down to one side. Horrible. I phoned back next day and they said - it's just your eyes getting used to the new prescription. Give it a week. I gave it a week and was getting headaches. The fishbowl effect was slightly less convex but things still sloped down to the right - even when looking at my phone. They said it was because it's a stronger prescription (it's not that strong actually) and give it another week.

Well by then I'd had enough because not only was everything distorted, but I couldn't xxxxxing see anything! With the glasses on - everything beyond arms length was completely blurred and out of focus. With them off, or looking over the top of them, my middle distance was still worse than it had been with my old glasses.

So for about a week, I couldn't enjoy going out as I couldn't see properly. Originally they told me I'd need the distance glasses as well to cover beyond the reading glasses - but neither would be right for computer distance (which I was still trying to get my head round), but when I phoned back describing the distortion she said - cancel the distance glasses for now in case we need to re-do your prescription.

So I got fed up with being told to stick it out another week and went for another eye test - at the old optician with the other branch 20 miles away. Unfortunately I got the same woman I didn't like four years ago. However I did like the old fashioned way they did the eye tests - with the metal frames and dropping lenses in instead of some giant computerised thing that the other optician used. Meanwhile I had had to go back to wearing my old glasses after a week of nearly having accidents and having headaches. Still held on by a string and sitting at an odd angle and falling off again. It took a couple of days for my eyes to adjust back to them. But then I could see perfectly well again! And read with them too. I told this second optician that - I can read perfectly well with my old ones and see middle distance as well.

However, after the test she also said I needed a new prescription. I had explained the problems with the other pair and she said oh well if they're stronger .......I said so does that mean I have to see everything convex for the rest of my life? But then she said oh well if they were giving you headaches.

She then said there really wasn't a lot of difference between my eye strengths, just 0.25 the same as before. And gave me a prescription for intermediate glasses. What a good idea! Why didn't someone else suggest that. They are basically for computer distance. Now I knew they wouldn't quite hack it for close up reading but I just wanted one pair I could see with to start with and rarely read small print and if I did, I could borrow OH ready readers :-)

So I looked at this prescription and it was different to the first one - but not a lot different. She actually had one eye stronger than the old one.

Then there is the cylinder and axis bit of the prescription - to correct astigmatism. I didn't even know I had astigmatism until the previous test. It's very slight apparently. So I asked this second optician - so why was it distorted? Was it the cylinder and axis that was incorrect? She didn't answer, but clearly felt a bit nervous that I might come back and complain like I have done about the first prescription and I noticed she changed the axis to 90 for each eye. As opposed to 84 and 95. 90 is straight up and down rather than angled. I googled this later and apparently there is leeway about 5 to 10 degrees either way, so she probably went for the safe option of vertical for both eyes.

I then had to wait another two weeks for the next set of glasses - still wearing my old pair hanging by a string.

Now I probably sound like an idiot. In hindsight? I should have just ordered a new pair of my old prescription online and carried on as before and ignored the new prescriptions! Because I could see perfectly fine with them! For reading, for computer, for middle distance around the house. Beyond that - ie distance, I can see ok without glasses, although I was aware it could be a bit sharper with distance glasses. So again, in hindsight, I shoukld have just ordered distance glasses for my old prescription.

I couldn't take the first pair back until I was sure the second prescription was right, then I could ask the first optician to change the lenses to the second prescription. I ordered the intermediate glasses and then went straight home and ordered the distance glasses online - I was so sure this second prescription would be right as it was not that much different to my original one. Just 0.50 stronger in each eye - and the different axis.................

The distance glasses arrived first - things looked great through them. But I held off wearing them until the intermediate glasses arrived rather than wear two different prescriptions as stilk wearing my old ones (and couldn't see anything close up with the distance ones)

The second pair of glasses arrived for intermediate distance. It took me a couple of days to adjust to them after wearing my old ones, but no headaches and within two days I had adjusted to those. Computer screen was clear and I can see another foot or so with them on, or look over the top. Computer did seem a bit sharper than before so maybe I did need the new prescription after all. Very slight convex look on the screen at first but it settled down.

But straight away I noticed the left eye wasn't quite right.

It was as if there was a tiny smear on the lens I kept trying to rub off. But there was no smear. So a kind of mini blind spot on the left eye. I didn't notice this on the distance pair - but then everything would be more magnified on the intermediate pair.

I got fed up. I had now bought 3 pairs of glasses at a cost, and none of them were right. Well the distance ones were right but I couldn't wear those all the time.

I then had to make some decisions. Do I go back to the second optician? (that was the plan), do I get a third eye test and go to Specsavers? Do I just put up with it? Then it was half term and I had no time to think so I kept wearing them. Now I'm having a quiet week. I decided to try and work out what the issue is.

I find it annoying that people can do an eye test and give you a prescription and not explain what is happening as you go along - I want to know, when they keep swapping lenses and asking you which is sharper - whether they are testing the magnification or the axis at various points, so I understand how the prescription works. But they don't tell you anything.

I did quite a bit of reading up. And have come to the conclusion it is the axis wrong on the left eye. I have a lot on at the moment, and also having to rest due to a painful rib cage so I'm fiddling about researching how eyeglasses work. And I decided to try and work it out for myself, rather than go traipsing back to the second optician. I need a break from all that.

So I decided to try something. I looked at all three prescriptions - my original one from 7 years ago, the one from the first optician and the one from the second optician. They are really not that different. I could see the issue with the one from the first optician as the left eye was set too strong. An optician on Quora told me if things leaned down to one side, they have messed up the cylinder calculation.

So I knew what was wrong with the first prescription. Left eye was .25 too strong and cylinder calculation was wrong. But - the axis had seemed ok with that one.
I looked at the second prescription. Cylinder was clearly ok and strength for both eyes was ok so that just left the axis.

Now some online places let you buy and return within 14 days - no quibbles. So I decided to order a cheap pair as a test, with the second prescription but change the axis to that of the first prescription. And I ordered a second cheap pair with no cylinder and axis measurements at all because my astigmatism is very weak and if this is causing all the hassle, why not just leave it off? I've been reading all kinds of optician forums with such suggestions! When I look through OH ready readers I can see perfectly clearly with no astigmatism correction.

So that's what I've done. When those two pairs arrive, it will be a test. Maybe one will be spot on - maybe neither will be right! But I can send them back. Now if I wasn;t in pain I'd have just gone for a third eye test or back to the second optician - but I am at the moment so doing a bit of investigative work and educating myself about eyeglasses :-)

Then something weird happened. Eureka - I have discovered something new! Because I had been messing about with OH ready readers, I decided to see what it would look like if I wore those on top of the distance glasses. It was absolutely brilliant! The perfect computer glasses! Much sharper and clearer than the prescription ones and no distortion at all!

I googled this and found a post where someone else had found the same thing and the responses were - why not? Optically there is no issue. It's a cheap option. You just need the one pair of glasses - the distance pair, and a cheap pair of ready readers to wear on top when reading or using a computer.

Except of course it looks absolutely ridiculous, wearing two pairs of glasses at the same time.

But it has also got me wondering more and more about how these prescriptions work. I have established that, the "prescription" is the basic one for your eyes - for distance. Then they put a "near add" figure for close up. The "near add" for the intermediate glasses is 1.25. The near add for reading glasses is Plus 2.

So - if I have distance glasses with plus 2 to make them reading glasses (which the first pair were), surely that would be the same as wearing distance glasses with plus 2 ready readers on top? It's still just adding plus 2 of magnification. But it isn;t the same. The latter option is better! And no distortion.

And I will leave it there for now because that is the next bit of investigative optical searching I want the answer to - just what is the difference when they are both doing the same thing?

I think I may have just answered that by writing that question actually. The ready readers don't have cylinder and axis correction. They are plain glass magnifiers. A reading glasses prescription with a "near add" will magnify the cylinder and axis correction - the more it's magnified - the more any error will show up - which is why my distance glasses are fine but the computer ones have a slight blind spot (both same prescription).

Somebody needs to invent something better and simpler - glasses are not cheap. Then a bit more googling showed me that somebody has! A company called eyejusters. They produce glasses with a little dial at each side so you can manually adjust the strength of the lens for each eye! Brilliant idea. Reviews said they were tacky and fall apart though and they weren't very attractive looking.
I don't expect anyone to have followed all of this completely - it is my bugbear for the moment that I decided to pontificate about. But at the back of it, it is really annoying needing two pairs of glasses and having to pay for them and them not being right.

But I am getting some satisfaction in having found a Heath Robinson solution and doing my own eye test with adjusting the two prescriptions,. I just need one pair that are right!

The incorrect axis or cylinder measurement cause the cave in and off picture. I have the same issue, more cylinders than diopters.
This is where we come to people and the quality of their work. Computerized phoropters instead of using the frames and lenses is not enough. Nothing wrong with high tech. Once they do get the values, they have to recheck with the frames and lenses again, just to make sure they got it right.
It is not easy and it is better to go to someone who really knows what they are doing and takes the time to make sure everything is ok.
I prefer to go to a good ophthalmologist to do the measurements and check my eyes, some opticians are really good too especially if you have cylinders/ astigmatism it is not so simple to get it corrected. It can take some time for your eyes to adjust, but to have a constant headache and see what you described is absurd.

Just some advice, always bring your old glasses, don’t mention other opticians, you have to understand they will usually not criticize the colleagues and protect their “clan”. Once in a while anyone can make a mistake and they rather see you as a complicated customer, so they are very frustrated if they get a very different result or very similar result and you don’t see well and complain. Progressive lenses are not that easy to measure.
I made a mistake of going to a different optician and my glasses are worse than the old ones, but the frames are broken and the lenses scratched. I had to adjust the angle I look through and how I wear them helps, but eventually I will have to get this fixed.
You have really done extensive research on this topic.
I think you should go back to the first optician and just tell them you cannot get used to them, have headaches and ask for a refund or a change.
Be rested and in good physical shape when you have the measurements or they can be really off. Never have measurements done after working on the computer for a few hours, avoid it and make sure your eyes are well rested.

Thanks Maya. Yes that is what I should do. Unfortunately I'm a bit grounded right now and having to avoid doing anything to make the ribs worse. And rest and take painkillers. It was so frustrating at first as I have a lot to do - but I'm getting used to it. It could take six weeks - longer if I try to do too much. I could try dealing with it over the phone maybe.

Your insight and experience is very valued there. It's a whole new arena for me and it annoys me! But yes the day I had my first test I was tired. I wasn't the day of the second test but that isn't right either. It's really annoying it's something you have to rely on others to fix! It's bad enough having to need glasses and having to pay for them! But I expected things to be right straight off.

At the end of the day, as part of my research, we need to remember that all glasses are doing is helping us see better. And if they make things worse, something is not right. But it's hard being assertive and asking people to change things when they are not wanting to admit they maybe didn't get things right. If the first optician had offered me a re-test straight away then it would have been better. But they had the attitude that it must be me, not the prescription. And yes I am now becoming an awkward customer. A number of people have said to me - just go to specsavers - like the advert ha ha.

I haven;t got varifocals. I've gone with two pairs of glasses for now. Which would actually be three pairs if I had dedicated reading/close up glasses as well. It was hard enough getting my head round that. Maybe varifocals are the way to go eventually but I don't think my eyesight is bad enough for that as yet. Because I only really need them for reading and computer distance. The distance pair I don't need to wear all the time, but they are an improvement for driving. Although my legal driving sight is fine without glasses. I passed the test for that.

But I think it was the way to go, having two separate pairs of glasses, at least until the prescription is right, as varifocals cost a lot of money and don't work for computer work well.

Agree, I think the new testing machines are a bit haphazard. Anyway, one of my experimental pairs arrived yesterday. Same prescription as my current pair, except for the axis. These were bought online and the lenses are way better than the standard lenses from the second optician. Much clearer. And at first I thought they were spot on. But the left eye is still very slightly weak and less focused. So I think the dioptre prescription is still not right. And of course it got even more confusing having two different prescriptions and neither being right!

Just to make things more complicated, considering these new ones are identical to the current pair apart from the axis by about 5 degrees either way, they make things look bigger than the current pair lol! I don't think that should happen. It's the same prescription - apart from the very slight adjustment for the astigmatism. But there's an improvement in that screens are now not slightly convex - they are now slightly concave! Which I know will settle because that's what happened when I went back to my original pair. My eyes readjusting again.

But the make up of the glasses is an aspect as well. The people making them up need to get the prescripton right too!

The other new test pair should be arriving soon. They are simple the dioptre prescription with no adjustment for astigmatism at all - it'll be interesting to see what difference that makes. But I suspect the left eye will still be slightly weak and the prescription just isn't right.

I guess I am slightly nervous about going back to the first optician and asking for a refund - because I know it will be hassle and they'll try and persuade me to have a retest. Last time they were difficult.

If it wasn’t too expensive and if you are not up to it, leave it or just leave it for later. There are no guarantees they would do it anyway.

Sometimes a higher value of diopters can make up for some astigmatism.

That's interesting to know thank you. Probably the easiest option is just phone them and say I want to return the glasses and will have a think about what to do next.

That first pair were the expensive ones. They only had expensive frames in that opticians and I regret spending that now!

Back